Originally Posted By: Bicholui
Gentlemen:

I need some help!! I´m looking for a .44 magnum hunting revolver. At my local store I found four diferentes brands available and I´m not sure wich one will suit best for my purpose.

Ruger Super RedHawk 7.5”
S&W 629 6"
Ruger Super BlackHawk 6”
Taurus Raging Bull 6 ½”

Only the 629 and the RedHawk come with slots for a scope; all of them Stainless Steel. Prices ranged about the same >$100<

Question 1: What would you recommend for hunting in the bush: hog, cougar & doe, up to 50 yards?

Question 2: Which one can be most customized: rubber grips, scopes, breaks, slings....?

Welcome to the HHM forum.

Any one of these is good for hunting in the bush for hog, cougar and doe but the Super Redhawk can take stronger loads.

All can be customized, not sure which can be more customized but that would not be a factor in my choice.

The Taurus is known for having poor quality. I am not saying that the one you are looking at is a poor piece, just that they are known for producing low quality handguns. Some people have purchased them and are very happy with them but I personally would avoid the Taurus.

The Smith and Wesson is a very nice piece having a smooth trigger and action. It isn't as strong as the Super Redhawk but can shoot mostly all factory ammo except the longest and strongest of them.

The Blackhawk is a very nice single action only piece. It is lighter than the Super Redhawk but not as strong. If you prefer single action only, this would be my choice.

The Super Redhawk is double action and can be shot in single action. It is heavier and stronger than all the others above and can shoot any 44mag load. Another plus for the Super Redhawk is the scope can be removing and reattached without loosing zero. I have the Super Redhawk in 44mag Satin Stainless with the 7 1/2 in barrel and I love this gun. My second choice would be the Blackhawk and then the Smith.

Hope this helps.
Vin

Last edited by dertiedawg; 10/07/2008 1:30 AM.

Scoped Satin Stainless 7.5in Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag. 50 Cal CVA Optima Black Powder Pistol