Hi everybody!

I have been lurking for a couple of weeks, really like the site and all the information. I have enjoyed hunting and firearms my entire life. Been reloading a long time too. Started with handguns pretty early used to take an S&W M-18 and shoot ground squirrels in my native California (Central Valley area) when I was teenager (boy that was good training). Bought my first “big bore” in ’85, a used S&W M-29 with a pinned 61/2 “barrel. I carried that on a couple of deer hunts with no luck. In ’87 I left CA. I started a career in the Army (11-B & M Infantry!) that spanned 12 years. During that time frame hunting was pretty hit or miss (no pun intended) based on deployments/assignments all over the world. I was assigned to Ft. Lewis, WA in ’98 and at that point made the decision that I was ready to settle down and transition into another career. I completed my degree and in ’00 exited the service and began my civilian career in law enforcement. I did the SWAT thing for a couple a years and I am a Firearms Instructor. Since I have been in WA I have gone after big game with black powder, and modern rifles with mixed success but always fun! I own a dozen handguns, Glocks (9, .40, and .45), Smith, and Ruger .357’s, .22’s etc... Only recently though have I again owned a .44 (sadly the S&W M-29 I mentioned earlier was the victim of a trade while I was still in the Army). With the recent purchase of a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag I am back in the game! My hunts for this fall were originally planned to be with modern rifle however I do believe I will take the .44 with me just in case I am able to get in effective range with my iron sights! Starting in ’06 I want to plan some actual handgun type hunts. I have an Uncle down in CA that is interested in hog so I will probably start there! I am beginning to look at getting a handgun that has some more range and optics too.

J.R.

"Put your trust in God, but keep your powder dry"--Oliver Cromwell