I've been fortunate enough to harvest two elk...one with a bow and another w/ a rifle.

The bow harvest was a cow at 40yds, through the heart...she was in a herd that was not spooked, took three steps, looked around and fell over.

The rifle harvest was a bull at 348yds, three shots were take and all connected. I was using a 30-06AI w/ 165gr Nosler Soid Base bullets at close to .300 Win Mag performance. First two went through the lungs, he just stood there looking acrossed the canyon wondering where all the noise was coming from. I held slightly higher and forward on the last shot and broke him down w/ a high shoulder shot.

Now...my opinion on using a .41 Mag for elk. I'd have it holstered w/ the heaviest cast bullet it would shoot and have a T/C .375JDJ, XP-100 7mmWSM, or something else as the primary gun. Should one walk in unexpectedly at short range (under 30yds) where I could only use the .41 Mag, I'd stick a bullet around the on side shoulder and try to brake the offside shoulder then start thumbing the hammer like crazy, once empty, find an opening and try to hit it again with the big gun.

Or...throw the gun over the elk's back to make him look the other direction, grab the big gun and hit him with the big lead!!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.