My computer has been down and it took me a while to be able to post. Being a .41 nut I have tried a lot of different bullets in the .41. If I were to hunt elk with one of my .41s I would use the Hornady 300 gr .411 bullet made for the .405. I had JD Jones lengthen the throat a bit in my fourteen inch contender barrel so I could keep the longer heavier bullets out of the area that is supposed to be filled with powder. Out of my barrel I send the 300 gr bullet down range at 1500 fps. This is pretty close to what a .454 will do out of a revolver. This bullet will also work out of my Redhawk but I haven't cronographed them from the Ruger. Forget about using these bullets out of the S&W, the cylinder is to0 short and the gun won't hold up to this kind of pounding. At the velocity you won't get any expansion or very little. When I want this bullet to expand I put it in my mini lathe and center bore the nose with a 1/4 inch tile bit bringing the weight to 275 gr.. This gives good controled expansion.