KnuteStoner,

I've killed alot of deer with my Ruger SBH and used alot of differant bullets. Quite a few were with the Hornady 240gr.XTP. and had fairly good results, but not with 100%complete pass throughs I like. 180's of any brand will get the job done, but they will not give exit wounds. I've used 300gr. XTP's on deer and had better results than the lighter bullets. The passed two years I used the Nosler 250gr.PT's and even though both deer didn't go very far (less than 30 yds.), those 250 gr. bullets at over 1400 fps. still didn't penetrate completely. I would NOT use this bullet on anything bigger than deer. Some other fellow hunters have had the same results. If you haven't noticed, I like full penetration. IMO exit wounds are the way to go. If for some reason I have to track a animal I want large amounts of blood to follow. Therefore, I like heavy jacketed or large meplat cast bullets for my hunting. With the .44 and above calibers you really don't need expansion anyway. Try some LBT or Cast Performance gas checks in your .44. Load'um up and crush anything that gets in their way.

Good Hunting,

Rugernut