Well opening day was saturday and we got out for a while. This year I'm packing my Reeder 475 and the 500 Linebaugh I just finished. I'm hoping to get something with the 500 since I built it myself I figure that would be pretty cool. I also have my 9yr old daughter enrolled in what they call the "mentor" program where kids between 8 and 12 can hunt with an adult and they actually punch the adults tag. The other cool thing is they accumulate a preference point every year until they turn 12 and pass their hunter safety course and get their own license. Saturday we saw one doe which would be legal because of my disabled hunting permit but she couldn't see it bedded in a bunch of ferns until it took off. I have her hunting with my 7-30 Contender rifle. I was amazed when I started working with her this summer how fast she caught on and how good of a shot she is. Hopefully we'll be back out next weekend but I'm going in for my 5th back surgery on wednesday, they are going to remove part of one disc and inject the other with steroids. Some how I managed to herniate two more disc one adjoining each of the two fused sections in my back and neck so I haven't been able to walk without a cane or walker which means all I've been able to do is road hunt. I'm hoping since this is going to be an outpatient procedure I'll have my legs back right after the surgery and when we come home from the central part of the state I want to take a bunch of logging roads on the west side of the cascades and see if we can't get my daughter her first deer, unfortunately the area I live in has pretty poor deer hunting but the elk hunting is great. We're backwards in that we have alot more elk than deer. I'm hoping by elk season in November to be able to get around some on foot so I can put the 500 to work. I figure the 500 with the 435gr CP bullets I'm running should be just the ticket to anchor another Roosevelt. Anyways I'll be gone for a few days but I'll let you know if my daughter scores on the way home.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist