Unfortunately we did have to hire legal counsel. It turned out the driver was a 17 year old boy that had been drinking. They had an ice chest full of beer according to witnesses. I think they knew the wildlife and fisheries officer because nothing was done. It wasn't even noted in the report. In fact they tried to say it was my fault. It later came out from other witnesses that saw the ice chest full of beer and the boy finally confessed under oath that he had been drinking. Other boaters had to testify that he was driving recklessly and was at fault. We will never know if he was drunk but I have my opinions. They settled out of court but there wasn't much we could receive in the way of financial support. They only had a small insurance policy and basically nothing of value to their names. And certainly nothing that could replace nearly a year of lost wages and the medical bills that have totaled to over $200K to date. Not to mention future medical bills I will certainly incur. I am also self employed and when I don't work I don't get paid. We pretty much lost everything. Home, business, declared bankruptcy, and turned our lives upside down. After 8 years we are just now getting on our feet again. I hold no ill will towards the boy but he will never know the life changing impact that one incident had not only on my life but the life of my wife and 3 small children. I wish in some way he could walk in my shoes just for a day. But such is life.