Viewing the Handgun Hunter mag. web site last year I came across a story by JamesfromJersey about using a handgun for boar at the Double Boar Ranch in western Pa. Well that was enough for me to start researching the place. I corresponded with Andy Krantz (owner) for over a year about his operation and if I could use my Ruger Blackhawk 357mag on one of those boars.
He and one of his guide's Dana felt that the 357 was a little light for the big guys but that they had 3 smaller ones that I could try for. I was more interested in hunting with the handgun then getting a big boar so I booked the hunt.
Dana was my guide and I went out with another guy using a muzzleloader. Dana told me the boars that I would be looking for were not with any of the bigs ones because they get too beat up.
After about 2 hours and only seeing 3 boars run off, we came to an opening and there were about a dozen pigs up ahead. I looked at them and said to myself, "man that last one looks big and mean" and at the same time Dana looks at me and says "how about that last one". I was thrilled. The boar walked by at about 25yds broadside and I put a 180gr hard cast by Double Tap Ammunition into his lower shoulder and he took off running up the hill. By the blood in the snow you could tell he was hit in the lung but that boar still ran about 200 yds. We saw him lying in the snow and he got up and ran another 150yds. After I hit 2 trees I finally put a finishing shot into his vitals as he angled away from us. he was much bigger than i had hoped for and he was estimated at 130 to 135lbs.
About 4 hours later the other guy got his boar, which was about 250lbs.
I was very impressed with the place and I will be back.
Warren

Last edited by Gary; 04/28/2011 10:57 PM.