(Don’t split hairs on this one, and oh it is easy to do, just listen to my point.)

Well, lest do this mathematically, a 223 shooting a 55 gr bullet at 3300fps will give you 1330 fps of energy. That is over the 1000 suggested or recommended number to harvest a deer with, right.

What about a 44 Mag? A 300gr projectile at 1200 fps will give you 959 fps of energy. Oh, but I can’t use that, I better switch to the 240 gr bullet 1400 fps so that will give me 1045 fps of energy. Right. I mean this is what the math is telling me, right?

And there is part of our dilemma. We, or in this case Taylor, invented the KO factor to account for numbers that we knew we didn’t have to justify. Taylor already knew it from field work/testing. On paper the 223 out performs the 44 mag when comparing energy. Now which one would you rather take elk hunting?

My point is this, the inertia HAS to go somewhere. It could be converted into heat, dispensed and depleted on muscle and tissue, be converted into momentum transfers, (or all of the above) but it HAS to go somewhere.

Some times we get too caught up in the math to remember that this is Gods world and we are still catching up to his magnificence. We come up with figures like the KO factor that do work, but all they really do is justify and confirm what was already going on in the field. In short, I think the only real way to find out what is going on is to ask the deer. Oh wait... the deer is dead...

If you do your job and put the bullet in the right place I bet you the same results will happen time and time again. Cast, jacketed, depleted uranium + good bullet placement = dead deer. LOL

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin