I have taken one hog with my 454, never used it for deer, haven't had a chance to hunt black bear with a handgun. But after one hog with the 454, and several with a 45 Colt 340 grain cast, countless deer with a 45 colt, I have come to one conclusion. I have to go to Alaska or Africa, to justify a need for the 454 Casul. I will let everyone know my results when I get back. The 480 can't kill my deer deader or quicker than my 45 Colt, or the hogs I've killed either, and I'm sure for bigger more dangerous game, I'll use the 454 and the much better penetration over the 480! I'm not saying the 500 smith round isn't more powerful, but the 480 is where it's at today because other cartridges have already filled the need for what it can do and they do it better. I have three 454's cause I like em, not cause I need em, They are nice to shoot once you master em, but thats it, like I say unless you are going to hunt Serious dangerous game, it's just novelty! The 340 WFNGC in the 45 Colt is all I use on hogs or deer for just that reason.