Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
Did BATFE ever make a firm determination on whether you can legally switch back and forth between pistol and rifle on a Contender/Encore frame?

This topic has been beaten to death, and some agents don't even know the law. I do have a copy of a letter received from BATFE which states this answer to that question - Once a rifle it must remain a rifle, regardless of whether it was a legal pistol at any time.
...And, I have heard from others that it is okay to go back and forth as long as it started as a pistol. All I know for sure is what I saw in black and white, and that said NO!

That's also what I remembered. My personal thinking is G2 for pistol and Encore for rifle....but then that's just me.

As for the OP's question, I also agree to buy him what he wants, IF that's really what he wants. Talk it over and make a smart decision together (that's what dads are for!), perhaps with the promise that if he tries the pistol and it doesn't come together, then a rifle is in his future (funds permitting of course). It was mentioned that he may be a bit impatient...testosterone will do that to a guy!
\:D
A patience-building pistol decision might be in order, again, if he is willing to go along with the "project".

My dad handed me two things when I was about that age. One, a manual 35mm camera that I had to figure out how to use and two, a .45 caliber Kentucky long rifle caplock. I still hunt ML 25 years later, and I have always pursued my photography passions as well. In my case, however, I hadn't asked for either, he just saw the opportunity and took it. You know your son probably better than he knows himself, so advise and suggest and the worst outcome is you have to buy a rifle later and keep another pistol for yourself.
\:D

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18