Originally Posted By: wildcatter

You said it, but you have to remember we can push a 400 grain bullet that fast to, but the sectional density is much greater than the 475 with a 400 grain, I agree it is a good hunting round, but it would not have anymore penetration over the 454 at any weight bullet.

Sounds good in theory, but doesn't pan out on practice. Ross Seyfried tried the 400 grain bullets in the 454 years ago and got penetration close to the 475 in test media, but when he tried them on Asian Buffalo in Australia they didn't penetrate nearly as well as did the 420's in the 475 and nothing penetrates better in 475 than a 390 grain Punch Bullet. Ross used a 475 500 grain Trophy Bonded Sledge Hammer solid rifle bullet cut down to 390 grains to fit in the revolver and got the best penetration of all bullets that he used. Just more proof than SD does not accurately predict the most penetration. Nose profile and meplat size and bullet material play a major role in getting the most penetration

In fact if you want to compare a lighter 340 45 boolit has the same sec. den. compared to a 400 in the 480. I don't believe you could see a difference in the Linebaugh on dangerous game when loads are taylored for each one, when you get this big with the KO any of these calibers have, you have to stop the pill in the critter to see the most damage and any difference and that is tough to do on this continent.

IME and O when shooting large game such as Moose and American Bison the advantage goes to the larger bore. The physical reaction of the hit is greater to the eye than with a 45 cal. The 50's even more so than the 475's

So because it is so versatile with the trajectories and the lighter 240.s and sectionally more dense with practicle boolit weights, it is what I prefer. I said before and it is quite obvious! anything bigger than the 45 Colt just aint necessary on the lower 48 and don't know how any animal would know the difference?
But the 454 is very trajectory correct. the big advantage I feel any of these big caliber handguns have over all other sub .40 caliber, is mass! They are capable of shooting thru small diameter limbs and trees and heavy brush, and still keep there course and hit game at reasonable ranges with the authority to cleanly take big game, when used with the big slugs any of them are capable of shooting.

All bullet are effected adversely when encountering twigs. the ability to shoot straight through brush is total BS and all test have proven as much

As I said there is more advantage on the lighter side with the 454,than the heavy side and hard to notice with the big pills! and if 1200 fps is the max for useful velocity the 454 will hold that way down range over the 475, grain for grain? Sorry guy's I don't see any major advantage?

When shooting big bore revolvers to 500 yards I have experienced the the reverse is true. I was shooting a 475 and a 454 both with 6" barrels. The 454 was loaded with 300 grain jacketed flat points form FA at 1600 FPS +. The 475 with Buffalo Bore 420 grain flat point hard cast bullets at nearly 1400 FPS. The amount of front sight needed for a 500 yard hit was less with the 475. The reason for this is quite simple the longer barrel time of the bullet in the 475 allowed for more muzzle rise before the bullet left the barrel giving the appearance of a flatter shooter. Any experienced big bore shooter has seen this regularly