I would like to weigh in on the 357 Max/357 Herrett discussion.
Have or had acouple of each. Both are great rounds in any bbl. length, BUT the Herrett is a pain to make! Worked w/ 356Win downloaded for contender, which was great, but sold barrel& all components to a co-worker. I will throw another round into the mix,granted we're talking handloading here anyway,the 35 Bullberry. This is what I thought about while crying about case cutting 30/30 cases for the Herrett. It is a full length case, no case trimming except for uniformity! Just load new 30/30 or 375Win brass to about 10-15% short of max 35Rem load, then off to the range or varmint area and fireform the brass. Another great thing( I forgot to mention), this round does not require custom dies! It can be assembled w/ 35Rem&375Win dies. I started with Lee dies because I already had both, but have since acquired CH-4 35Bul.set.What this round basically is, is a 35/30 improved w/a match chamber, to keep it simple. Fred Smith of Bullberry told me to use 35Rem load data. Depending on the source of data( stacks of it), Herrett data is a good starting point. I am thinking of rechambering one of my RMax barrels into another Bullberry so I can have a lightweight bullet barrel & a heavy. Impressive varmint gun w/125-140gr.s. Have not taken anything bigger yet, too many other Contender barrels in the cabinent! Considering the run of game Bob Milek & Steve Herrett took w/ 10" TC 357Her.s, and Deena Folmer has with 35Rem, I can't see much need for anything else. I did have a 375JDJ Handcannon, but now have it a 26' Encore rifle. My body likes it better!